ISP provides the following services to college students:
- Selection, matching, and placement of international students with host families.
- Shared housing placement for Northern California students.
- Short-term tourist placements with local host families in Hawaii and coordination of tourist activities.
- Airport pickup.
- Support and assistance during the student’s contract period.
- Rigorous screening process for new host families. All host families are interviewed in their homes by an area coordinator prior to being accepted to the program. We seek to ensure that students will have a positive and supportive environment.
Click the links to learn more about our programs:
- Northern California, including San Francisco
- Southern California
- Hawaii, including our short-term tourist program
- Apply to ISP
- Program fees
ISP has been dedicated to serving the homestay needs of international students in our colleges. I found them to be responsive and sensitive to the cultural background of students. We recommend ISP to international students who attend our San Mateo Colleges: Cañada College, College of San Mateo and Skyline College.
Jing Luan, Ph.D., Vice Chancellor
San Mateo Colleges
Students who come to Northern California will enjoy area attractions including San Francisco, the Golden Gate bridge, Santa Cruz, Carmel and Monterey, and more. It is one of the most beautiful areas in the United States.
Homestay Placements for College Students
ISP is proud to have hundreds of active and eager host families in Northern California. Hosts are a variety of ages and can be families with children, single adults, couples without children, single parents, and retired people. In addition, hosts come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, which represents the diversity of the U.S.
For Students Attending Foothill College and De Anza College
Shared Housing units are local homes that have been converted to student housing. Typically, Shared Housing units accommodate one to seven students and are furnished to include a bed, desk, and dresser. Students share the kitchen, garden, and recreation room. Bedrooms will be single and double. Shared Housing units require a 10 month contract, starting in August and ending in June. Students prepay their rent in two installments for the year.
Students are assigned an ISP Area Coordinator who helps with adjustments and questions.
Rental prices in the area are very high. Shared Housing provides an excellent opportunity for students. Students who wish to be independent yet have the support of their landlords and ISP Area Coordinator are attracted to this program. The demand for Shared Housing is extremely high and space is limited, so please check with us for availability.
If requested, an ISP staff member will provide the services listed below for Shared Housing students and their families. The price for the service is $150. Typically, we arrange to spend two to three hours with each student. Services include:
- Initial shopping trip for for food and necessities
- Area orientation
- Explanation of bus system with maps and timetables
- Personal contact for the student throughout the duration of the contract
For international students coming directly from overseas, finding safe, affordable, and convenient housing accommodations is critical. The services that ISP provides our students are essential to our success, and we value their commitment to our students.
David J. Nelson, Director of International Recruitment and Outreach
Glendale Community College
Southern California is an exciting place to be! You will enjoy famous weather, movie stars, Hollywood, white sand beaches, Disneyland, and more.
Homestay Placements for College Students
Our host families in Southern California are dedicated, caring, and eager to meet you. Hosts are a variety of ages and can be families with children, single adults, couples without children, single parents, and retired people. In addition, hosts come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, which represents the diversity of the U.S.
ISP is proud to offer two outstanding programs in Hawaii: the short-term tourist program and homestay placements for college students.
Short-term Tourist Program
ISP is very excited that you will be joining our short-term tourist program, designed for visitors to Hawaii who want a unique experience! You may choose whether to live with a Hawaiian host family or in a Waikiki hotel. During your stay, our knowledgeable Hawaii ISP coordinators can help you arrange local excursions and fun activities.
We have placed thousands of international clients successfully with host families. If you choose that option, you will be placed with a typical Hawaiian host family that will offer a unique perspective into Hawaiian life, culture, and their ohana (family). Please contact us for more information about this program.
We look forward to seeing you soon on the beautiful shores of Oahu!
Homestay Placements for College Students
The best way to learn about the American and Hawaiian cultures is to live with a host family! Our Hawaii host families are some of the warmest and friendliest people AND they are all anxious to make you a part of their family. You will have the security of living close to school and having a new family to call your own. We provide host families for international students studying at language schools and colleges in Hawaii.
Hosts are a variety of ages and can be families with children, single adults, couples without children, single parents, and retired people. In addition, hosts come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, which represents the diversity of the U.S.
- Go to the online application for college homestay students OR
download the appropriate application:
- Homestay Application for college students
- Shared Housing Application for students attending Foothill College and De Anza College
You will need the latest Adobe Reader to view and print these files. If you do not have it, please go to the Adobe website and download it now: www.adobe.com
Remember that your prospective host family is reading your application carefully and may be choosing between two or more students. The more information you write, the better!
- Homestay Students: The ISP placement fee may be made in the form of a money order or personal check payable to International Student Placements and sent with the original application. Please complete the credit card authorization form to pay by Visa or Mastercard. Wire transfers are not accepted. The placement fee is non-refundable. If you are requesting airport pickup, please include the airport pickup fee.
- Shared Housing Students: The ISP placement fee and deposit may be paid by credit card. Please complete the credit card authorization form in your application to pay by Visa or Mastercard. Wire transfers are not accepted. The placement fee is non-refundable. All rent must be paid via money order or cashier’s check payable to International Student Placements and sent with your original application to the ISP main office.
Remember to enclose the $50 late fee. Please fax your application first and send the original via express mail. You can fax the application to 650-948-1105.
International Student Placements
199 First Street, Suite 305
Los Altos, CA 94022 U.S.A.
All applications, regardless of where your center is, should be mailed to the ISP main office in Northern California.
Fees – 2013
|Program||Placement fee||Late fee||
Room + 2 meals/day
Room only (no meals)
|Homestay: Peninsula||$435||$75||$825 ($900 beginning 4/1/13)||$675 ($750 beginning 4/1/13)||$100||not required|
|Homestay: East Bay (Hayward & Ohlone)||$375||$75||$775||$625||$100||not required|
|Homestay: San Francisco||$435||$75||$950 ($1000 beginning 6/1/13)||$800 ($850 beginning 6/1/13)||$100||not required|
|Homestay: CSM, Cañada, Skyline||$435||$75||$900||$750||$100||not required|
|Shared Housing: Foothill/De Anza||$350||$75||not applicable||$825
(requires $250 deposit and
|Homestay: Santa Cruz||$350||$75||$900||$750||$130||mandatory|
|Homestay: Santa Monica & UCLA||$350||$75||$920 ($970 beginning 6/1/13)||$770 ($820 beginning 6/1/13)||$100||mandatory|
|Homestay: El Camino, CSU, Long Beach||$350||$75||$845||$695||$100||mandatory|
|Homestay: Glendale, Pasadena, Burbank||$350||$75||$870||$720||$100||mandatory|
|Homestay: Northridge, Orange County||$350||$75||$845 ($870 beginning 6/1/13)||$695 ($720 beginning 6/1/13)||$100||mandatory|
|Other Southern CA College Homestay||Please contact us for any schools not listed above.|
|Short-term Tourist||$350||not applicable||Please see the Tourist Application
for more information.
|National University Los Angeles||$350||$75||$750 ($800 beginning 6/1/13)||$600 ($650 beginning 6/1/13)||$100|
|National University San Diego||$350||$75||$700 ($800 beginning 6/1/13)||$600 ($650 beginning 6/1/13)||$100|